Perspective

Things Could Be Worse - Phil Jones

Lately I've been feeling pretty unhappy.  I have gotten a few of my midterm marks back and they have been less than perfect. I know it makes sense that taking a heavier course load leads to not doing as well, but this is a hard thing for me.  I've always done well in school and this whole bad-grades thing is really getting me down.

Well not anymore!  I have been spending a great deal of time thinking about how these few bad marks are the worst things ever, but, newsflash, they're not!  Things could be going a lot worse and certainly are for millions of others.  Even though I didn't ace my tests I still get to go to home to warmth, food, love, and comfort, 4 things a lot of people don't have.

I am an extremely fortunate person.  I go to a great school, I have amazing friends and a supportive and loving family.  If there is ever something I need I almost always have a means of getting it. I also have abundant food sources, access to not only clean water but the best water on the planet and live in a country where I don't have to worry about getting in trouble for going to school, not being able to receive health care or being caught in the cross fire of a war.

In comparison to so many others my life is fantastic.  While I'm sitting here fretting over some bad grade other people my age are trying to figure out where they will be sleeping tonight or how they will take care of their 4 siblings, or where they will find food tomorrow.

So, whatever it is that is getting you down, although it may truly be sucky and upsetting, it could (almost always) be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment